RP Funding Center Director
City of Lakeland
This senior leadership role directs the administrative, managerial, business development, and public contact for the municipally owned and operated convention center. The facility is a multi-functional center and requires leadership with a vision and skills to attract and retain business to ensure a fiduciary responsibility of the taxpayer dollars. Under the direction of the City Manager, this position is responsible for all the marketing, promotions, policy development, financial management, client and community relations, and capital improvements.
• Development, accountability, and implementation of policies and procedures related to the City’s vision, mission, values, and overall operations of the convention center.
• Direct the operation’s development, programming, financial management, sales, and marketing.
• Responsible for all client and community relations to attract and retain business.
• Communicates and works with representatives of various businesses, business organizations, citizen boards, community agencies, advisory committees, and promoters regarding facility accommodations for conventions, trade shows, exhibitions, and entertainment productions.
• Responsible for coordinating and scheduling events in compliance with guidelines of the rental schedule for maximum revenue opportunities.
• Oversees all activities in the center through client interactions, guiding users regarding floor plans, sound systems, insurance requirements, police and fire coverage, and other matters.
• Creation and development of programming, marketing strategy, and capital improvements to support long-range planning.
• Proactively targets new revenue opportunities and promotes a culture committed to continuous improvement.
• Responsible for the financial management, budget development, and personnel management.
• Responsible for personnel management, including staffing, training, performance evaluations, succession management, and disciplinary actions.
• Oversees the food service, concessions, catering, ticket sales, and related service functions.
• Manage all in-house service providers, venue partners, vendors, and contractors to maintain standards and meet contractual requirements.
• Directs the promotion, marketing, sales, planning, operations, and activities of the RP Funding Center convention center.
• Acts as the City representative to establish, administer, and execute contract rates, terms, and conditions.
• Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
• Independent judgment that achieves a positive economic impact on the community.
• Ability to create and present statistical analysis to support the business model required to generate substantial economic impact.
• Ability to communicate both verbally and in written format.
• Ability to build partnerships with tourism associations and community partners to understand the local economic conditions of the hospitality industry.
• Knowledge and ability to execute various sales tactics to attract and retain business relationships that fit the business model.
• Understanding of contractual language and licensing requirements.
• Ability to present as the subject matter expert on marketing strategies, results, operational policies and procedures, and related events to various groups of individuals in forums including but not limited to city commission meetings, strategic planning, vendor negotiations, and public media.
• Ability to operate a revenue-producing business in a government environment.
• Ability to lead subordinates to carry out responsibilities and duties that align with the City’s vision, mission, and values.
• Requires sedentary work that involves walking or standing, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a recurring basis, and routine keyboard operations.
• The job risks exposure to traffic but no significant environmental hazards.
• The job requires normal visual acuity, field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of taste, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception.
QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE):
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four (4) year college or university specializing in business or public administration, hospitality, facility management, or a related field.
• Five (5) years of leadership experience in operating a multi-functional civic or convention center with an emphasis on business development and sales.
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the knowledge, skills, abilities, and other competencies necessary for success in the target position may be considered.
• Must possess and maintain a valid telephone number.
• Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
• May be required to work alternate hours as necessary for the efficient operation of the department.
• Position is designated as Mission Critical.
Apply Online at http://www.lakelandgov.net
If interested, submit résumé to: