Senior Sales Manager
Vacancy Type/Job categoryManagement & Professional
DepartmentCommercial – Warwick Conferences Sales Office
Salary£33,348 – £43,155 per annum
LocationUniversity of Warwick, Coventry
Vacancy OverviewFull-time, permanent position.
A fantastic opportunity has arisen for an experienced Senior Sales Manager to join our Sales & Events team in Warwick Conferences at the world leading University of Warwick. Benefits include a competitive salary, generous holiday entitlement, attractive pension scheme, discounted sport membership and electric car schemes. Salary starts from £33,348 up to £43,155. Hybrid working options available.
As a Senior Sales Manager, you will lead the Meetings & Events Sales Executives’ team ensuring rate, occupancy and conversion targets are met and to strive to exceed revenue targets, as well as establishing and maintaining exceptional working relationships with conference clients. To ensure through skilled consultation, negotiation, planning and organisation that objectives of each event are satisfied. Excellent diary management skills and the ability to maximise yield are vital to the role.
Skills & Experience
You will have extensive experience of working in a Sales & Marketing role at a similar level, preferably in conference and events venues with the ability to identify and convert business leads and opportunities. Previous experiences at management level with proven leadership qualities.
Warwick Conferences offers a range of world-class meeting and conferences facilities in a lively and attractive destination. We’re proud to be part of the University of Warwick and located on its leafy green campus. An organisation that invests all its profits into social benefit – education for students, or world-leading research to improve lives globally.
Our mission is to ensure that every Warwick Conferences customer is entirely delighted by their experience with us. The role of our dedicated team is to create lasting, memorable events that achieve everything our customers hope for and more. We have endless stories of how our people go the extra mile every day for our customers. Constantly on the look-out for any improvement to make, taking personal pride in their work and supporting each other to deliver their very best. Our entire team works together to develop clever ideas to deliver a unique experience for delegates, for every client.
As well as the benefits listed above, as a member of staff at Warwick you can enjoy a wide range of other competitive benefits, along with excellent learning and development opportunities. Please refer to this link for a full list of our employee benefits here at Warwick here.
To find out more or arrange an informal conversation about the role, please contact: Nathalie Piper-Krop (N.email@example.com).
Interview Date: 6 June 2023.
To lead the Meetings & Events Sales Executives’ team ensuring rate, occupancy and conversion targets are met and to strive to exceed revenue targets. To lead the sales managers’ team to establish and maintain exceptional working relationships with conference clients.
To ensure through skilled consultation, negotiation, planning and organisation that objectives of each event are satisfied. To maintain and enhance the reputation of the University of Warwick as a conference venue.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Day to day Management:
• To ensure the Meeting and Events Sales Executives’ teams form a close professional working relationship with conference clients whilst creating opportunities for clients to optimise their spend.
• Ensure the team action all sales enquiries on a daily basis whilst maximising yield price and diary management strategy for all units whilst monitoring conversion levels. Chase all provisional/offered business ensuring that bookings are accurate and up to date, so that all new enquiries may be processed.
• To monitor and implement sales and rate strategies through working closely with the Revenue Manager.
• To communicate effectively and regularly with the Revenue Manager, Senior Event Manager and Head of Business Development to ensure all opportunities for business development are highlighted and managed appropriately.
• To monitor and devise SOPs and processes for the sales team. Monitoring the events operating system to ensure smooth running of events and communication between the sales and operational teams.
· To assist and support the Revenue Manager and Head of Sales and Events Management by monitoring results through reporting on sales revenue, forecasting and overall results.
· Proactively look for efficiencies in the delivery of the sales strategy, improving processes within the team and adapt processes to the business needs.
· To oversee and control the conference diary to enable the sales team to optimise occupancy and revenue, as well as monitoring the system and assist with system upgrades.
· To constantly review and maintain confirmed, provisional, and offered business in line with all Turn Down and cancelled business to ensure the right business has been taken at the right time for the right price whilst aiming to improve conversion levels.
· To assist the Revenue Manager with the effective management of all diary space and yield to maximise revenue and profit potential to achieve sales and profit targets.
· To attend trade show exhibitions and meetings related to business tourism as and when necessary.
· Ensure the team passes on all leads from lapsed, new or existing clients to the Proactive team to enable business growth opportunities for each client/company to be researched and followed up.
· Manage and monitor the team to ensure they actively identify, and call potential clients and all data is updated in conjunction with customer relationship management and GDPR regulations.
· Represent the University at high profile, functions, exhibitions, and publicity events to target appropriate clients in order to generate new business whilst enhancing the reputation and business profile of Warwick Conferences as the best academic conference venue.
· To ensure an understanding of the business objectives within the team and understand the role in achieving them.
· To ensure that specific training needs are identified, acted upon, assessed, and evaluated within the team.
· Responsible for the full employee lifecycle of the team including recruitment, training, development, and motivation using relevant guidelines and procedures.
· Complete annual PDR’s and ensure subsequent training and development is managed appropriately for the business.
To undertake any other duties as from time to time maybe required commensurate with the grade of the post.
The Person Specification focuses on the knowledge, skills, experience and qualifications required to undertake the role effectively. This is measured by (a) Application Form, (b) Test/Exercise, (c) Interview, (d) Presentation.
Essential Criteria 1Educated to HND level, or equivalent professional qualification. (a,c)
Essential Criteria 2Extensive experience of working in a Sales & Marketing role at a similar level, preferably in conference and events venues. (a,c)
Essential Criteria 3Negotiation skills at senior level and understanding of tenders and training contracts. (a,c)
Essential Criteria 4High standards of written and verbal communication. (a,c)
Essential Criteria 5Knowledge of Industry trends, associations, and competition. (a,c)
Essential Criteria 6Excellent presentation skills. (a,c,d)
Essential Criteria 7Good time management, planning and organisational skills. (a,c)
Essential Criteria 8Good knowledge and experience of conference/hospitality IT packages & Microsoft Office. (a,c)
Essential Criteria 9Ability to identify and convert business leads and opportunities. (a,c)
Essential Criteria 10Ability to deal tactfully and diplomatically with customers and colleagues & effective listening skills. (a,c)
Essential Criteria 11Previous experience at management level with proven leadership qualities. (a,c)
Essential Criteria 12Previous experience of managing a team in a similar environment. (a,c)
Essential Criteria 13Previous revenue management experience. (a,c)
Further ParticularsFor further information about the University of Warwick, please read our University Further Particulars.
Warwick is committed to building an organisation of mutual respect and dignity, promoting a welcoming, diverse, and inclusive working and learning environment. We recognise that everyone is different in a variety of visible and non-visible ways, and that those differences are to be recognised, respected, and valued. Where possible, we go beyond legislation to provide a place where everyone can thrive, supporting all staff to achieve their full potential. We aspire to remove economic, social and cultural barriers that may otherwise prevent people from succeeding.
We therefore welcome and encourage applications from all communities regardless of culture, background, age, disability, sex/gender, gender identity or expression, ethnicity, religion/belief, or sexual or romantic orientation. To find out more about our social inclusion work at Warwick visit our webpages .
The University of Warwick holds an Athena SWAN Silver award; a national initiative to promote gender equality for all staff and students. Further information about the work of the University in relation to Athena SWAN can be found at the following link: Athena Swan (warwick.ac.uk)
The University of Warwick is one of the six founder institutions of the EUTOPIA European University alliance, whose aim is to become by 2025 an open, multicultural, confederated operation of connected campuses.
Right to work in the UK
If you do not yet have the right to work in the UK and/or are seeking sponsorship for a Skilled Worker visa in the UK points-based immigration system please click on this link which contains further information about obtaining right to work in the UK and details about eligibility for sponsorship for a Skilled Worker Visa.
Benefits and Rewards
For further details and to apply visit HERE
If interested, submit résumé to: